I’ve got a new recipe for you all to try! It’s simply delicious. It’s posted here and also under the recipes tab. Enjoy!!
- 18 jumbo pasta shells (about 6 ounces)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/4 medium onion, finely chopped
- 4 ounces fresh chorizo, crumbled
- 1 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 teaspoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt plus additional for seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper plus additional for seasoning
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 cups baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1cup low-fat ricotta or cottage cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- *optional* 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- Cook shells according to package directions; rinse under cold water, drain and pat dry.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and chorizo and cook until browned, about 5 minutes. Drain all but 1 1/2 teaspoons drippings and return pan to stove. Add tomatoes and sugar and season with salt and pepper to taste; simmer until sauce is slightly thickened, about 10 minutes. Set aside. **Note, you can also add a little balsamic vinegar if you’d like! It gives the sauce a little extra somethin-somethin.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and coat a 9-by-9-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- Combine spinach, cheeses, egg white and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- Spoon half the tomato sauce into prepared dish. Stuff each shell with 1 heaping tablespoon filling and arrange stuffed shells in baking dish. Spoon remaining sauce over shells and cover with aluminum foil.
- Bake until pasta is cooked through and sauce begins to bubble, about 30 minutes.
- Let rest 5 to 10 minutes before serving.